Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst sent the following message about tonight’s State of the Union address. This is posted for informational purposes and does not imply support of, nor endorsement of any political candidate.
David Dewhurst Issues Statement on Upcoming State of the Union Address
David Dewhurst issued the following statement today prior to President Barack Obama’s State of the Union address later this evening:
“What Americans will hear tonight from President Barack Obama are more empty words that have led to failed policies and broken promises and more class warfare rhetoric we have heard for the last three years. President Obama’s empty words have only led to failed policies and broken promises. It’s time for the President to stop making excuses, and instead outline specific pro-growth proposals to get our country back on track.
“The first steps towards fixing the problems in Washington are to repeal ObamaCare, dramatically cut spending and pass a balanced budget. Unbelievably, the Democrat-controlled Senate has allowed 1,000 days to pass without a federal budget. As a Washington outsider not beholden to any special interest groups, I will be a strong, independent voice for Texas in the Senate. I know how to pass a balanced budget because I helped pass them in Texas, five consecutive times, without raising taxes. I will take my proven Texas knowledge and conservative principles to Washington to help get America back on track.
“It’s high time that President Obama and Congress begin addressing these critical problems facing our nation. I have released a detailed policy plan aimed at repealing the job-killing policies this Administration has pursued, and replacing them with sound, conservative pro-growth policies. Americans and Texans deserve better than what this Administration continues to offer. We will not continue to stand for the tax-and-spend ways of Washington, and I will fight every day to make sure we reduce spending, cut taxes, balance the budget and limit the role of the federal government.”
The first chapter of Dewhurst’s policy plan to repeal President Obama’s job-killing agenda and replace with a pro-growth agenda can be found below, or on our website here.
1. Repeal ObamaCare
- The costs of ObamaCare are spiraling out of control, leaving our children and grandchildren to pay for it.
- Repealing ObamaCare will save American taxpayers at least $540 billion over the next ten years.
- The uncertainty of ObamaCare is keeping businesses on the sidelines and is directly responsible for companies not hiring.
- ObamaCare is an example of one-size legislation that does not fit all, and does little to improve America’s healthcare system.
- ObamaCare is another federal entitlement that we cannot afford.
Dewhurst Plan: Free-Market Healthcare
- Create a permissive free-market system.
- Align incentives so doctors, hospitals and patients get more value for their healthcare dollars.
- Expand the individual health insurance market.
- Bring Texas reforms to Washington.
Reform the legal system.
Put forth sensible solutions that lower the number of malpractice lawsuits.
- Equalize tax treatment.
16-17% of the GDP is spent on healthcare and that number is only going to grow with the incoming wave of an older generation.
2. Stop The Obama EPA’s Job-Killing Agenda
- Rein in President Obama’s out of control EPA.
- Stop unnecessary job regulations that hurt Texas businesses.
Dewhurst Plan: Overhaul The EPA
- Use the power of the purse and Congress’ investigative powers to repeal EPA job-killing regulations opposed by Congress and most Americans.
- Investigate current practices and regulations being implemented by the EPA.
- Implement a tougher, more job-friendly analysis of current practices.
- Make sure landowners and job-creators have a seat at the table when EPA is considering new regulations.
- Cut down on administrative costs and overregulation.
- Maintain clean air and water while still enforcing regulations that allow businesses to grow and prosper.
3. Stop National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) Over-reach
- Prevent the NLRB from telling companies like Boeing which states to place manufacturing plants in.
- Stop the NLRB from interfering with private sector business decisions – end the NRLB’s trampling on the Constitution.
- More government overregulation, which is preventing jobs from being created.
Dewhurst Plan: Less NLRB Meddling, More Job Creation
- Insist on new leadership at the NLRB.
- Conduct tough hearings on NLRB decision making under President Obama, and investigate interference with private business decision-making.
- End federally mandated prevailing wage regulations, which will serve to bring down the cost of building infrastructure – roads, dams, ports, bridges, etc.
- Accelerate the approval process for FAA upgrades.
Allow private investors to invest in airports and air traffic control upgrades so that modernization and improvements can be made to match the needs of the 21st Century.
4. End the Wasteful Obama Green Energy Gravy Train
- End taxpayer bailouts to companies like Solyndra, which declared bankruptcy after providing numerous warning signals to the White House before receiving $535 million in grants.
- Stop President Obama’s “energy cronyism” of giving federal grants to donors.
- Stop lobbyist and President Obama donors from feasting on taxpayer dollars for pet “Green” energy products, which don’t make good commercial sense and never make it to consumers.
Dewhurst Plan: Develop America’s Massive Domestic Energy Resources
- Fully develop and utilize America’s abundant energy resources.
- Stop interfering with hydro-fracking of oil and gas wells, which is completely safe, and streamline oil and natural gas drilling regulations to allow more drilling.
- Aggressively re-open Gulf of Mexico to oil and gas exploration with sensible safeguards in place.
- Stop playing “political football” with energy projects like the Keystone pipeline.
- To encourage more drilling for natural gas, open new markets for liquefied natural gas and encourage the building of ports and other facilities that can handle LNG exports.